Sunday, September 7, 2008

Dealing with an obsession

I have a particular fondness for buying stuff in thrift stores. The charm of a previously used object is sometimes just too much for me. There are so many unique things in the world. There is definitely a practical side to my obsession: stuff at thrift stores is often cheaper and in just as good condition as new items. Just two or three dollars can get you awesome mugs, bowls or anything. I think having a wide variety of stuff can be interesting and is a good way to show off your personality. I'm mostly interested in dishes from the 60's onward as I like the design and the bright colors.



I got that yellow bowl at the DI. I had intended to try to sell it, but I like it too much to part with it. The white container is great to store salt in, and that blue bowl is always a crowd pleaser.



These mugs are amazing! I got them at the DI too. Joey and I both have our favorites (mine is the fake Mastercard mug). The coffee just seems to taste better in them.



These containers are a find of Joey's, and I'm a little jealous of them. They are so vibrant!

I really like the idea of someone coming into my apartment and seeing some of these things because you probably couldn't find them in other apartments. I always have a story to tell about how I found them. The idea that all of my dishes would be the same is scary. Where's the uniqueness? I would prefer to be eccentric than uniform.

I think I've gotten a little too interested in finding things though. I have too many bowls to be used and too many casserole dishes. If you've read one of my previous posts you'll see that I attempted to sell some stuff on eBay a while ago. It was a bust. I have made it a goal to sell all of my excess items though and I intend to do it! I've told myself that I won't buy anything new to sell until I get rid of my current items.


These are the mugs I'm going to sell. I particularly like the red one. Two of them are Fire King and the other two are some glassbake stuff. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping they sell because I need to prove to myself that I can actually sell stuff. I've learned from my previous attempt and so I'm going to do better this time.

No comments: